Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pumping Iron

Here it is. My new strength training plan. Because let's face it, coming up with the plan is more fun than actually doing the workouts. I'm going to add this as a page over in my new Pages sidebar. It took me a couple hours to get that sidebar set up so I plan to use the heck out of it.

My general strategy is to do 3 full body workouts (I'd actually be thrilled with two, but I'll start out ambitious). Most of the exercises I picked came from the book Strength Training for Triathletes (just another way I'm a triathlon poser)



I can do some variation of most of these exercises at home if need be, but I think I am going to try to get to the gym to do most of my training. It's a lot easier to focus on getting in that last rep when you're not thinking about water boiling over on the stove or what someone is doing with your laundry because you left it in the dryer too long.

Without further ado

Sunday-
3 sets of 15 of each:
Chest press
Seated row
Overhead press
Curls
Tricep pushdowns
Bosu ball squats
One legged deadlifts
Calf raises
Bird dogs
Bridges
Bosu crunches
Side leans

Tuesday-
3 sets of 15 each:
Chest fly
Lat pulldown
Upright rows
Hammer curls
Dips
Quad extensions
Hamstring curls
Seated calf raises
Hip abductor
Hip adductor
Ab machine
Bosu oblique crunches

Thursday-
3 sets of 15 each:
Inclined press
Bent over rows
Front and side shoulder raises
Barbell curls
Skull crushers
Leg press
Regular deadlifts
Squat into calf raises
Supermans on bosu ball
Plank
Bosu crunches
Bicycles

It took me about 40-45 minutes to do the Sunday workout, which is what I was going for. We'll see how it goes on school/work days, but I have easy dinners planned for tonight and Thursday, and I got all the laundry done last weekend (woot) to give myself some flex time.

Last night's dinner was roasted salmon with potatoes and mushrooms.



I actually tinkered with this a lot because I realized I didn't have the ingredients to make the sauce. Instead I made the salmon with tahini and honey (ala HEAB) and sprinkled the mushrooms with garlic and the sweet potatoes with paprika (and later catsup). It was pretty good, but not great. I'd like to try it again, following the directions this time. It takes awhile to cook, but most of that time is hands-off.

And... oh yeah... that running thing. I'm doing 8mi this morning. My last longer run until the 10k on Sunday.



Have a great Tuesday, all.