Thursday, March 11, 2010

Melt



After a day of rain and temps in the 40s, almost all of the snow here is gone. I'm certainly not complaining that it's turning into spring, or that it's going to be 36 degrees out for my run. However, it seems like it takes so much "work" to get as much snow as we do, and it's here for so long, but then it all disappears in a day. Like it never even happened. I guess that's how people live up here for years and years. You get winter amnesia, and by the time you hit April, you've already forgotten how crummy February was. Unless you get a bunch of snow in April... then you remember.

Anyway, on to other things. I'm planning to get in 5 easy miles before it starts pouring (eta of that is 8am according to the Weather Channel) so I should be fine and hopefully a de-stressing lifting session after work.

No pizzas were made last night. I had a stressful day at work + we were late getting home because of D's talk and my piano lesson + we needed to go to the grocery store so we went out to our old standby Tex Tubbs.

So the work stress thing... and this is the reason I would not be a good doctor/lawyer/police officer/etc... When someone is stressed out, I pick up that vibe and I become really stressed out. Because our group is on an NIH grant, we have to present to an oversight committee every year. This year's meeting is in June, but the group needs all our materials ahead of time, so we are starting to prepare now. And the boss is starting to stress now (actually I think he's been stressing since after last year's meeting) and that stress is trickling down to the rest of us. I don't think I truly have more to do than normal, it's just that on a regular day everything at our office is very relaxed, and right now you can feel tension when you interact with anyone. So I'm taking some deep breaths and preparing myself to stay late/whatever to make sure things get finished soon and fitting in exercise after work, which always helps me calm down. I don't know how those of you who deal with acute job stress on a daily basis handle it.

Well, gotta run. I hear birds chirping!