Monday, February 1, 2010

Resolution Review

We are one month into the new year, I thought it was time to look back on my new year's resolutions and take stock of how things are going.

1. Put stuff away after I use it- This one has been going really well. Our apartment doesn't get dirty as much as it gets messy, and having a neat space is so so so much more relaxing than having a big pile of clothes on my dresser or sink full of dishes waiting for the end of the day. I'm very happy with this one.

2. Focus more at work- This has also been better. I think listening to music helps when I have to do more of the "boring" stuff as does not checking the internet when I have little bits of down time when a program runs. It's better to have distinct breaks rather than this constant flow between "working" and "break time".

3. Pushing myself- I think this has also been good. I've been doing a lot more speed work and pushing myself to try faster paces than before. Not so much variety with the food ('tis the season), but I have made a fair number of new recipes.

4. Have more fun with more people. This one is... okay. We have done social things but no real inviting. I need to get out of the habit of always waiting to be invited to do stuff.

5. Take more pictures- BAD. I don't know why I'm averse to this, but I know I'm going to look back and wish I had more pictures of this time of my life. I need to get on it!

6. Stay in touch- Hard to say. We saw a lot of people over the holidays so I don't feel "out of touch" right now. We'll see how I do in the coming months.

7. Music- I'm taking piano lessons!!!!!

8. Waste less time- I'd say this was a B effort, too. For the most part I've been coming home, doing yoga, and cooking without any blah on the couch time, but I have my moments. Especially after 7pm.

9. Read real books- Um... I think I've read two things that can be considered a "real book" so far in 2010. And I'm almost done with Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters. I think I'll always have a place in my heart for trashy reading. I just have to keep it respectable some of the time.

10. Blog- I have been posting almost every day, but I haven't done anything to make the layout less ugly. I know I need help, but I'm afraid I don't want to pay the going rate for someone to make this thing be attractive. It's on my "someday/maybe" list.

And that's that. Other than picture taking, which gets a big F, I think it's been going well.

I'm planning on a 7mi run with 10x1min fast here in a few minutes. This week's goal is 37mi with a 10 mi long run on Thursday or Friday. Hope you all have a great Monday!