Sunday, April 25, 2010

Week in Review- CrazyLegs Race Report Edition

I'm happy to report the CrazyLegs 8k race yesterday was a resounding success.  I met all the goals I laid out that morning.

1. Be Zen about the weather.

Actually I didn't have to.  It sprinkled a tiny bit before and after the race and was a little chilly and windy, but there was nothing to complain about.  It was actually a great day for a race.

2. Have fun

Definitely.  First, I loved the wave start.  There were tons of people in front of me, but they were always moving as fast or faster than I was.  Sure I passed people and was passed, but there were no road blocks as there can be in races where people line up wherever they please.

Second, I got to meet up with two fabulous runner/bloggers: Jamie from Running Diva Mom, and Linda from Mom Running from Cancer.  You should check out both their blogs to read their race reports.  A major shout out to Jamie who smashed her goal time AND is planning a 20 miler today on the treadmill.  You might not guess it from her pink Bondi band, but she's pretty hardcore :).

It was fun to have someone to share the afterglow of the race with.  Thanks again to Linda for brining a camera and to her son for being the photographer.


I love this one where you can see the stadium bleachers in the background.  This was my first time in Camp Randall.  20,000+ people ran or walked in the race plus the spectators made this truly a community-wide event.

3. The time goals

I'm happy to say I met all my time goals.  When I stopped my watch, I had 39:01 minutes (just above my A goal of 39 min), but when I checked the race results this morning, my official time was 38:59.  YAY!  When I checked my time I found out that not only did I meet my time goal, I won first place out of everyone with my last name.

My splits were: 7:31, 7:58, 7:32, 7:58, 7:48, which weren't perfectly even but reflected the up and down nature of the course.  I was happy that all my mile times were faster than an 8 min/mile pace.  I don't have much else to add other than I pushed myself hard, but overestimated how far the finish line was when I made my final kick.  I definitely could have picked it up a bit before I did.  Otherwise, it was a good race effort for me.

This week is all about recovery and getting ready for my 20k race this Saturday.

Here's the boring recap of the rest of the week:
U- Strength training- dealing with a sore shin
M- 6mi easy in 58:05 (9:41 min/mile)
T-  7mi in 1:03:56 with 5x2min fast (paces for intervals were 7:08, 7:11, 7:21, 6:57, 7:29)
W- 6mi easy in 57:23 (9:34 min/mile)
R- Strength training, yoga
F- 4mi easy in 36:17 (9:05 min/mile)
S- CrazyLegs!!


Brining the totals to:
Run: 28 miles
Yoga: 1x
Strength training: 2x


The rest of the day yesterday was pretty full.  I talked to my parents, baked fudge drop cookies for the kids in my small group at youth tonight because this is my last night with them (D had 1.5 for breakfast this morning and pronounced them good), 




cleaned up the house, and then it was time to drive over to Milwaukee to see Marc Knopfler.


Pictures and recording were a no no, so I don't have any of that to share with you.  The concert was good.  I don't know many Marc Knopfler/Dire Straights songs but the rest of the audience seemed to really be getting into it.  In fact, when a guy two rows in front of us stood up to cheer, the woman he was with reached up and groped the heck out of his butt.  I know if I were a musician, that's precisely the sentiment I would want to inspire in my audience.


Anyway, it was a late night getting back and an early morning getting up for church.  I briefly entertained the idea of getting up early to run, but then I realized that was stupid.  My body needed rest and sleep more than it needed to get up at 5:30 for a sloooowwww 5mi run.  As I said, this week will mostly be about recovering and getting ready for next Saturday.


Have a great Sunday, all!