Tuesday, April 6, 2010

It never rains in Southern Wisconsin

Just doesn't have the same ring to it as Southern California, huh?  And it definitely rains here.  Interestingly, though, something about the lakes


protects the areas from storms.  Sure we get a lot of weather, but not a lot of blizzards, tornadoes, and the like. Which makes it kind of unusual that we're in the middle of a huge thunderstorm right now. 


Good thing I rearranged my running schedule so I got in today's run yesterday and will be in the gym this morning.  Yesterdays' run was... meh.  I was supposed to run 4x3min fast, and even though I could have done it physically, I just wasn't in it mentally.  It wasn't that I started running fast and then couldn't hold on to the pace.  I just got to the end of the first three intervals and though, "Actually, that wasn't hard at all."  I pushed myself more on the last one, but by that time it was a little late.  Oh well.  I do almost all my speed workouts two weeks in a row so I have a chance to redeem myself next Tuesday.


One other benefit of running yesterday is that I was able to take some sunrise pictures.  Think this x 20




The idea was that I was going to be able to use one of these as the photo in my header.  But I fear I have 2 problems.  1.  The photo quality is not very good.  and 2. I can't figure out how to get the picture to be sized correctly for the header.  Does anyone have any tips on how to do this?  Maybe I need to give up and try to find a stock photo of a sunrise I can use...


Taking a new direction here...  Productivity Monday was a success.  I was able to:

  • Identify a problem and work toward figuring out the solution.
  • Be helpful to both our post docs (I can tell being helpful at work is going to be a new year's resolution for 2011)
  • Not check my e-mail from 8am until lunch at noon.
  • Batch all my distractions like making an appointment and checking to see if we have spinning tomorrow for after 3:30pm.
And most importantly I didn't feel any pain from the loss of my distractions.  In fact, I actually felt free of them.  It was great.  Let's see how this goes for the rest of the week.

Last but not least I had a major dinner success last night.  Spicy peanut chicken from Cooking Light (see sidebar for recipe) served with steamed broccoli and brown rice.


I have this complex that I'm not good at making sauces, so when D asked me if I bought the sauce in a jar or made it myself, I took that as a compliment!  One of the hardest things about tomato sauces is making them not taste too tomato-y, and this recipe definitely succeeds in that.  

Well, gotta run!  Don't want to miss the bus in this weather.  Have a great Tuesday, all.