Saturday, April 24, 2010

CrazyLegs

It's race day, and the weather isn't currently going nuts, so I'm taking it as a good sign.  Accuweather's forecast is "cloudy" from 7-noon with showers on either side, which would be great.  If it does rain, though, I'll be prepared with a trash bag for my body and plastic grocery bags for my feet.  I'm all systems go.

Which leads to a natural question... why am I making such a big deal about this little 8k race?  I think because I feel a lot of internal pressure to recreate the results from my last 10k.  It's like somehow I don't believe my time was real, and I have to prove it by running another race at comparable speed.  So here I am, looking out the window at the trees getting tossed around in the gusty wind thinking, *gulp*.

But, what is life without goals?  Here are mine for this race:

At minimum: Be Zen about the weather and its possible impact on my results.  No whining before or after.
A little better: Have a good time.
Starting to think about time: Sub 40 min (faster than 8min/mile pace)
A little more about time: Sub 39:16 min (the time predicted by my last 10k results)
What I would love to see: Sub 39 min

Alright, let's get off this subject and on to something more fun...

I love love love love love love love getting my hair done.  When we are rich and famous enough to be on Cribs (is that show even on anymore?) I'm going to buy a pet monkey to wash my hair and massage my scalp every morning.

I decided to go with a little different style this time.  I have the back short, and I'm growing the front out so it angles down.  We're not quite there, yet, but you get the idea.


With my hair tucked behind my ear, like I normally wear it:


I took one from the front, but I have a goofy look on my face so we'll leave it off the Internetz.

New toenail color: sparkly purple.


Also, the Accessory Fairy (aka D's mom) sent a special delivery that arrived yesterday


Yes, those are my very own pair of What Not to Wear red shoes!!!!  I'm very excited.  I wore the black ones last night because they matched my outfit better, but I can't wait to wear the red ones.  Plus they are Naturalizer so they won't rip holes in the sides of my feet or put me at risk of ankle breakage when I walk.  Thank you, Accessory Fairy!

Guess that's about it for me.  I'm catching the bus over to the race in an hour, and I need to finish getting ready, do some stretching and foam rolling, etc.  Tonight we're going to see Mark Knopfler (the guitar guy from Dire Straights) play in Milwaukee.

Have a great Saturday, all.  Good luck to Running Diva Mom who is running CrazyLegs today and have fun to the Durso Pack who are doing the walk!