Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Boston dreams

First, off a huge congratulations to MarathonMaiden for her awesome performance at Boston.  It was fun to track her and a "real life" friend yesterday during the race.  Checking the leader board, it was a good day for Americans Ryan Hall and Meb Keflezighi, too, who placed 4 and 5 in the men's division.  Hopefully one day I'll have the opportunity to run Boston, too.  If I never get faster, I can at least try to not get too much slower and hope that I qualify when I hit 70.

I wish I could say that the marathon yesterday had inspired me to get pumped up for my final speed session (4x2min fast with 1 min recovery) before the race this weekend, but alas, it just doesn't have the same mystique.  Plus, there are thunderstorms forecast for the whole weekend.  Last year it rained so hard (and I was injured) that I skipped this race.  I'd like to actually run it this year, but with a minimum of rain-soaked sock blisters.



  Otherwise not much else is going on.  I made chicken enchiladas last night for the first time in a very long time.  This is one of the first dishes I ever tried to cook, and it's nice to see that my cooking skills have progressed to the point where I was confident they were actually cooked when I pulled them out of the oven and wouldn't have to go in the microwave .


Normally I'd be annoyed that my dinner looked like a pile of red slime, but that's a mark of traditional New Mexican food.  If only we'd had sopapillas to finish the meal.  Le sigh.  You can find a lot of ethnic foods in Madison, but so far as I know, sopapillas are not one of them.  So tasty.