Friday, August 27, 2010

Mental prep

This is week 6 of my marathon training program, meaning I have 5 more long run "slots" to fill until the race.  Two of them will be shorter because they are taper weeks, which leaves 3 to fill with really long runs.  I've done probably 6 runs longer than 15 miles so far in the training program and one 20 already, so I know I can cover the distance, but for some reason I'm having trouble getting excited for tomorrow's long run.  It's not that I don't feel recovered from last week's race- I do and I think my runs this week show that- but normally the Friday before a super long run (I'd like to hit 20 tomorrow) I'm already starting to feel a lot of excitement/anxiety.  Part of it is probably because I'm feeling more confident (good), but the other part is that I got myself geared up for the race last week and my mind is trying to tell me that "Okay, the race is over.  We're done now.  Let's chill out now"  (bad).

How do you stay focused and excited about your training when you feel like you are at mile 20 of your training plan and you still have that really and 6 left to go?