Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Another garden delight

Although I usually use recipes as a guide rather than following them exactly, it's rare that I ever make up a new dish completely on my own.  However, after some inspiration from J+A's sausage and potato roast, I decided to try my own variation on that theme.

I sliced up the first butternut squash from the garden and roasted it with some olive oil and salt for about 20 minutes, then added some diced apple and apple flavored chicken sausage from Trader Joe's and let that cook for an additional 20 minutes or so.  We decided not to season what was in the pan because we didn't want it to be too sweet but added a little cinnamon and brown sugar to what was on our plates.


The result was actually pretty good.  A little sweet, but not desert on a plate.  I would go ahead and add the cinnamon and brown sugar to the whole pan next time.  1 butternut squash + 3 apples + 5 chicken sausage made 2 good sized dinners + leftovers for 1 lunch.

I'm looking forward to using the rest of our squash once it's ready to harvest.