Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Am I really in shape?

My interval times yesterday was so good, I'm either in really good shape or something weird happened with my Garmin signal.

We've had really high temperatures during the day (which I love) but are still getting below freezing over night, which causes the huge puddles of water to freeze into giant sidewalk glaciers.  I'm not talking about a little puddle of water; I'm talking about a 10-foot long sheet of ice that covers the entire sidewalk.

 
Needless to say, it's basically impossible to run over these things at a good pace without risking a fall.  Fortunately there was about a .8mi stretch of bike path and road in front of our apartment complex that was basically free of sidewalk glaciers.  As long as I was willing to slow down at one section and do to some hairpin turns, I was good to go on my repeats.  I figured I'd push myself as best I could and be happy with anything under an 8min/mile considering the stopping and turning.  I felt great throughout the whole workout ( I did 8mi total) and, even though it was a lot of back and forth over the same ground, I was able to keep focused and push myself through each interval.

I was totally floored when I got back home and checked my Garmin.  1:10:58?  For an 8mi run?  That's super fast for me.  I felt like I was going at a good clip during the warm up and cool down, but I had to stop and walk a few times to navigate icy spots.  And then there were the interval times: 7:15, 7:22, 7:38.  What the what?  I find myself making excuses for why the 7:38 was "so slow"- I had to do two hairpin turns on that one- but the truth is I would have been thrilled with three 7:38s on a good day with no turning.

So were these times real or a figment of my Garmin's imagination?  On the one hand, I felt really good, I pushed myself during the intervals, and I have done some good speed sessions on the treadmill.  On the other... they just seem too good to be true.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see how other workouts shape up.

It's supposed to be really warm today (like 49 degrees- woot!) and tomorrow (55- let's all have a party) but rain some overnight or tomorrow morning, so I have no idea what conditions will be like.  I'm supposed to do a 6mi tempo run tomorrow, and I really want to get out to do it- even if it means going back and forth over the same stretch as yesterday- but I'd be fine with doing a treadmill run if it comes to that.  This morning is lower body weights at the gym and a little elliptical.

Hope the weather is improving wherever you are.  Have a good Wednesday!