Sunday, September 20, 2009

Zoo Run Run

It always amazes me how tired I am after racing a 5k. It's just three (.1) little miles, but I'm dead tired right now. As tired as I would be after having done a 12 or so mile long run. Maybe more. I guess that means I pushed myself.

Anyway, I actually met both my conservative (less than 26 minutes) and "good day" (less than 25:30 minutes) and finished in 25:05, which was an 8:05 min/mile average pace. This was really good for me considering that the middle mile of the course was really hilly. Other than that, I was consistent with my pacing and ran the first and third miles in 7:59. I wish I could have pushed just a little bit harder at the end, but I have that getting sick thing that keeps me from giving the kick that my body has but my stomach doesn't.

On a completely different topic, we cleaned out the garden yesterday. D picked all the carrots.



And I got the squash.



This is all of it, including the monster zucchini and space ship squash I picked earlier.



I'm going to be honest with you and say that I have absolutely no idea how to cook any of this. Except the zucchini. That big one is currently spread out in 5 pans of zucchini bread. I don't even like zucchini bread because I don't like zucchini, but I figured it would be easier to give away this way, and I had a lot of flour and sugar that were just hanging around. Here's the recipe I used if you do like zucchini bread. I did the lemon flavor for two loves and cinnamon for the other three.

I think we are going to give the pumpkin looking ones away to our church small group for fall decorations. The rest... I dunno. I don't know what I'm going to do with all those carrots, either. We do eat carrots pretty well, but dang... that's a lot of carrots.

Anyway, I hope you are all having a fabulous Sunday. I would totally take a nap right now except I don't want to burn down the apartment.