Sunday, September 6, 2009

Update on the Worms

Morning, all.

No run for me today. Yesterday was a cut-back long run. I did 7.5 miles in about 1:09, which is about a 9:15-ish pace. I'm not quite back to where I was this time last year, but I'm feeling like my endurance is improving and I'm not running soooo slow. Part of it is that I think I'm figuring out how much I need to eat to be in a bit of a calorie deficit but not be totally exhausted.

A little update on the kitchen composting. After one week of putting about 1/2 of my vegetable kitchen scraps in the compost, I still don't detect any smell. I can't really tell if the worms are "working", but they are still alive. They kind of freak out and dive for the bottom of the bucket when I pull them out into the light, so I can't tell what they are up to in when I put them back in the dark. Hopefully munching on banana peels.

I think I'm going to run out to the garden in a few minutes to collect some carrots for beef stew tonight and some more flowers from my hedge.

Did I mention that on here before? I bought some flower seeds, but they really turned out to be seeds for a hedge with flowers on it. And then it got top heavy and they all fell over! Oops. Just when I think I have 1/4 of a clue what I'm doing, I realize I'm still completely lost.

Anyway, I hope everyone has an awesome Sunday. I may or may not attempt to make marinara sauce on my own this afternoon. I don't think I'll try to can on my own, but I may try to make it and freeze it in baggies. We shall see...