Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Just say No

To working out today.  Oh man, yesterday I was tired.

It started with yesterday's run.  It was really hot and humid (for me), and I was scheduled to do 1mi-2mi-1mi at slightly slower than 10k pace.  I felt tired when I started running, but many times I perk up once I get into the meat of the actual workout.  That was true yesterday, too, and I really pushed myself.  Times weren't great but they weren't terrible either.  I usually do 8mi during my weekday runs, but I went straight back to the apartment after finishing the last fast mile.  That gave me 7.5mi, which I would normally get up to 8 by doing some laps through the complex.  But not yesterday.  At 7.5 I was DONE.  I was not interested in doing the last .5.

So I went to work and felt kind of crappy.  I guzzled water, trying to get rehydrated.  I was busy in the morning so I didn't think about it too much and figured I'd feel better after lunch.  Lunch came and went and I didn't feel great but I didn't feel terrible either.  I finished what I was working on for a meeting today and tried to focus on another project.  And it was just not going to happen.  I felt crappy.  I couldn't concentrate.  I was tired.  I knew nothing was going to get done.  So I took 2 more furlough hours (we have to take 8 in a week so I would have had to take them sometime before Friday) and went home.  That says a lot because I pride myself in not taking sick time.  I've only taken one sick day in the 2 years I've worked at my job.     

I laid down on the couch at 3pm and didn't get up until it was time to make dinner at 6pm.  We ate and walked and then I came back and got ready for bed.  Last night I slept from about 8:30pm to 5:30am, and in the spirit of actually getting all my energy back, I'm taking today off working out.  I don't think it was all fatigue- I think my electrolytes might have been wonky from drinking so much water and not really having any salt during the day- but it was definitely a component.

Well, that's my tale of woe.  I'm feeling much better, if still a little lethargic, this morning, and I'm ready to go back to work.  Hopefully that's the only time that will happen before the marathon!