Thursday, September 23, 2010

It's the final countdown

In 10 days and 4 hours I'm going to be like

except I really hope it's not snowing and there definitely better not be any stairs* before the finish line (oh the comments I would write on MarathonGuide). 

10 days until the marathon marks my last speed workout before the race.  This morning I did my traditional Thursday 2x15 min tempo.  The first was at goal pace (8:46min/mile), which had more to do with the fact that it was the hillier part of my route and windy as heck than my attempt to actually run marathon goal pace.  The second 15 min was flatter and more protected, and I ran at "true" tempo pace (8:15min/mile).

My interval workout Tuesday was also strong.  I did 3x(800,600,600m) at 5k-10k pace.  My paces ended up being:

8:05, 7:29, 7:31min/mile
7:30, 7:41, 7:32min/mile
7:26, 7:19, 7:25min/mile

for each set.  I was pretty excited to see all those sub-7:30 times- especially that 7:19.

I plan to do a short post each day counting down to the race (a lot of firsts and lasts).  Stay tuned for tomorrow- the first day I can start obsessing about the weather on the day of the race.

*I have actually done one race where there were stairs at the end.