Sunday, November 28, 2010

All good things must come to an end

Goodbye, long weekend.  I'll see you again in three weeks when we do the great southward migration for the holidays.

The paleo thing has been going really well.  As of two weeks in I'll give the pros, cons, and "neutrals."

Pros:

  • I have never had an episode of unhappy stomach after a paleo meal.
  • Although I really haven't reduced my carb intake that much, I have a bit, and I find it easier to sit still and feel less antsy on rest days.
  • Eating out is actually fairly easy.  To answer Linda's question about what I had at McDonald's- a grilled chicken southwest salad and some fries.  Healthy?  Not really.  But we rarely go to McDonald's.  If all you can order is a sandwich, pull off the bun and eat the innards (or ask for bunless/breadless- it seems that a lot of restaurants are pretty cool with this because so many people have celiac disease). 

Cons:

  • Easy at home and fairly easy in restaurants but takes a lot of thought in social situations. 
Neutral:

  • I don't feel like I've had any change in athletic performance or body composition.
I've only dumped the diet wholesale twice in the last two weeks- once for our group dinner and once for our fancy dinner out last Friday.  As of right now I'd say I'd like to stay paleo as much as possible after the experiment is through.  One thing I've done better in the last two weeks but still want to focus on is increasing my vegetable intake.  

And with that, I'm about to fall asleep on the keyboard.  I hope it wasn't a sign of how truly boring this post was.  I need to rest up for my first FIRST interval workout tomorrow: 8x400m at faster than I want to think about pace.