Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Senor Flurry


Yesterday was a flurry of activity at work, and we have our first snowfall in the forecast*.

There is a conference abstract submission deadline on Friday, and our bosses are out of town for the rest of the week so there were last minute "just in case" abstracts to be written, old abstracts to be finalized, and a loooong boring (unrelated) conference call in the afternoon.

As for snow, I for one am ready for it to come.  I think.  The alternative is rain, which is the kind of precipitation that is currently going on outside, and I'm sort of tired of rain.  Luckily this is a gym day.

Yesterday I had great running weather, but sadly my GPS battery died.  After only one run!  I've had it for a few years, so I guess it's not crazy that the battery isn't hold a charge that well.  So I had to move my 8x400m workout later in the week and did a 3 mile short tempo run instead.  My goal pace for the 3 miles was 7:41, but obviously I have no idea if I hit that or not.  I just know I ran pretty hard for 3 miles.  The GPS is (hopefully) recharged, and I'm excited to see how I do on the 8x400m run either Wednesday or Thursday.

On a completely different topic, I was tagged by Sarah to answer 7 "desert island** friend" questions.

1. which would you rather have: the ability to fly, or the power of invisibility?  As awesome as it would be to fly, I think that would totally freak people out, so I'm going to say invisibility.  I would just have to become re-visible when no one was looking because that would also freak people out.


2. what was your favorite dish at thanksgiving this year?  This fried mozzarella thing with apple topping and duck prosciutto when we were out at L'Etoille.  I had no idea what I was ordering when I picked it from the menu, but it was really delicious.


3. what is your favorite movie of all time? This is a really really tough one. I wouldn't say it's my favorite, but I never don't laugh when I watch Zoolander when it comes on TV (which is all the time- or at least it was when we had cable).


4. if you could have an all-expenses paid trip anywhere, where would you go? (no fair saying 'a trip around the world!') Since I can't say, "around the world" I'm going to do the next best thing and say "all around Europe".  I've never been!  


5. describe your favorite pair of shoes ever (mine = ridiculous red high tops i owned sometime during the late-80s) I wore a black dress with leopard print shoes to my senior year homecoming dance.  Those shoes were pretty sweet.  Actually I vaguely remember (and have been told about) a pair of cowboy boots I had and loved as a small child.  Those were probably actually my favorite.  Oh yeah, and my snow boots.  What they lack in style, they make up for keeping snow off my feet.

6. no internet or no TV: which would you pick?  No TV.  That's an easy one for me.  Although no internet would probably up my productivity by 300%.

7. what is your favorite season? (for bonus points (coconuts? bananas? whatever is available on our island), rank all 4 in order!)  Fall (because it's pretty and warm), summer (because I like to be warm, but we don't have central AC at home so sometimes it's too hot), spring (because sometimes it's still cold), and winter (blech).  I vote for a navel orange tree on the island because I just remembered that's the only thing I like about winter- oranges.    


I'm running late so I will post questions and tag others tomorrow.  Adieu***





*For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to make my screenshot of the weather forecast big enough to see on the blog.  It always copies really really small.

** I'd like to schedule to be stranded the second week in January, preferably the day when the high is below 0.

*** Just practicing for my trip.