Saturday, August 29, 2009

Worm Ranching

After seeing an exhibit about vermicomposting at the Smart House exhibit at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry I decided I was ready to take the plunge and actually set up a worm composting system in our kitchen. Every morning I throw away banana peels and coffee grinds... perfect garden food... and the only thing holding me back was my fear that kitchen composting would stink up the kitchen. Not so with the worms. As long as you don't "overwhelm" them, they turn your kitchen trash into fertile soil smell free.

Here's the worm farm in pictures.

Take one Rubbermaid



Punch some holes in the top (easier said than done)



Put in some starter dirt



And then the stars of the show





In the bucket



Covered with shredded newspaper (I think this is the only thing the Shopper Stopper has ever been good for)



And in the cabinet



To make compost, just add food in the dirt under the newspaper and the worms do the rest. Easy peasy.