Thursday, June 17, 2010

Special Delivery

June 16th was the Dragon Boat Festival in China, and our neighbors- who are from Taiwan- were celebrating by making zongzi, a traditional dish made from rice and other stuff wrapped in banana leaves.  (Thanks, Wikipedia!)

They brought some over for us to try ("Don't eat the leaf!").  Here is zongzi up close and personal:

All tied up together:


Slowly being unwrapped

 All the way open:

The rice is very dense and there were peanuts, dried seafood, and a dried mushroom inside.  Daniel finished his and declared it "Interesting and not too bad."  I declared it "Interesting.  Do you want mine?  No?  Okay, I think I'm done now".

In any case, it was kind of them to think of us.  Daniel's birthday is next week, and I'm planning to make red velvet cupcakes, which I will take over to them to try.

I wouldn't really call this adventurous food, but what's the most adventurous thing you've ever eaten?