Thursday, June 26, 2008

Easy Thursday

6mi easy this morning in 60 minutes. It felt so much better than my run yesterday. Last night I felt so crappy. I was tired and my shoulder and arm were hurting again (I still don't really know why). I was really doubting my ability to get in my milage this week and doubting my ability to do another speed workout, and starting to bargain with myself. But luckily I had my energy back today. I definitely could have run farther and faster today, but I'm saving it up for lifting today and for the track tomorrow. I just have to keep reminding myself that being tired and recovering are normal parts of the training process now that I've gone from doing everything at one speed to varying my workouts. I also have to remember that there's a reason that many training plans have two easy days between hard workouts: because you need them! Take them, recover, and move on. I know this may sound silly, but I get anxious when I feel tired. I had a really bad bout of overtraining last summer: to the point where I couldn't run an entire 5mi without walking. It was really bad. But I know the problem was that I kept pushing and didn't listen to my body when it asked for a break. Again, I have to keep reminding myself that it's a balance of hard work and RECOVERY that yields results.