Monday, June 23, 2008

A case of the Mondays

I.am.so.tired. Seriously. All I want to do right now is climb back into bed and sleep the rest of the day away.

I had a nice time at the race last night. I finished in 25:21, a little better than my 5k in January, but still pretty far from my PR. Over the next month I'll be doing some 5k specific training prior to the Chunky Monkey 5k so hopefully that will give me the push I need to get back under 25min. I was concerned both about the heat and having eaten a sandwich around 4pm (not enough time to digest) but neither one ended up being a problem. I really probably could have pushed a bit harder during the race and snuck in under 25min last night, but I didn't, and there's always next time. I did pass people the whole way in (I think maybe only one person from the 5k race passed me) so hopefully that means I kept a steady pace.

I saw friends T and S last night. T had just gotten off of work so she was the photographer and S was the runner, which was a role reversal for them. This was S's first 5k (automatic PR, don't you love that?) which was exciting. This is the kind of thing that makes me feel meloncholy about leaving Albuqueruqe. They were basically the first friends we met here, and it's kind of sad to know we'll have to say goodbye soon. In life you meet a lot of people are nice and who you can be friendly with, but not that many you truly like and desire to be friends with. It's hard to think about going through that process again soon.

The one thing I really need to work on is differentiating my paces. Right now I have a "fast" that's like 5k pace and a "slow" that's like marathon/recovery pace. When there's only about a 20 sec difference between 5k and 10k and 10k and tempo pace, I think it's hard to hit one versus another. Hopefully working out at the track more will help me figure this out.

No running today, just lifting and yoga :).