Sunday, June 15, 2008

Back from Wisconsin

Well, I just got back from Madison yesterday, and I'm happy to say that the trip went perfectly. I have a job!!!!! It's with the group I interviewed with by phone several weeks ago, and I feel like it's going to be a great fit. I'm also glad that, after two years in job purgatory here in ABQ, I'm actually going to be able to use my degree and my brain again. Plus, it's a relief to not have to worry about job searching anymore.

I had a second interview with a group in the cancer center, but it wasn't something I was really interested it... basically it was a database management job. Boring. I also had lunch with a friend from RWOL, got to check out our apartment for the fall (or at least a similar one), ate some insanely tasty ice cream, and took my own walking tour of campus. The best think about the trip is that I think it has let me feel "at peace" with the move. I'm still a little apprehensive about going somewhere new and leaving our friends behind, but all in all, I think it's definitely a move forward in our lives.

As far as running goes, this was a cut back week. I only ran 24 miles- it would have been 30 but I had a tremendous headache from flying yesterday so I compromised on the elliptical. This week I'll be gearing up to 37, and the goal for the next 6 weeks will be to stay as close to 40 as possible (with some kind of cut back about 1/2 way through). Although I've said that I'm not going to run another marathon until Chicago next year, I think that I'll be ready for another one around the time the Madison Marathon takes place next June. And how can I live in a city and not run its marathon at least once. Anyway, I'd like to be able to run about a months' worth of 50 mile weeks before I start the Pfitz plan again to ensure that I'll actually be able to stick with it. I'd love to be able to use the 70 plan, but that would depend on me being able to handle 6 day a week training both physically and mentally.

It's such a fine balance between hard work and recovery. I guess that's why people have coaches.