Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Eeek

Time for an update!

My 14-miler Saturday went pretty well despite dropping both my gels somewhere. I finished in 2:08- I think I'd have finished faster if I'd been able to refuel during the run- but my endurance felt like it was where it needed to be. It was a beautiful day, too. The sun was shining, just a slight breeze, and I didn't get (very) lost. I can't wait to run through the arboretum when things are actually blooming

Unfortunately my right hamstring/ IT band is not cooperating. I've had some weird aches and pains in this area since maybe January??? Nothing that made my change my stride or even really hurt, but it was something I definitely felt as my runs were getting longer, especially running uphill.

Well, I felt it a lot on Saturday. Again, it wasn't a pain/injury kind of feeling, but an irritated/tight kind of feeling. I've tried to be proactive about icing and stretching, but after I felt it a lot on my Sunday easy run with no hills, I knew I needed to do something about it.

So first I'm taking time off running. I'm not sure how much good that's going to do because I've taken time off before (like when we went to St. Louis), and it didn't seem to change anything. I'm also stretching, icing, rolling, but I'm considering trying something new...

I've heard a lot of runners talk about active release therapy (ART) for running aches and pains. It's kind of a hybrid chiropractic/ massage kind of thing. Anyway, after doing some investigative work, I found out that our insurance covers it because it's considered chiropractic treatment. I'm on the fence because I'm leery about the whole chiropractor thing, but on the other hand I've heard great things about ART, and I'm kind of concerned that this thing isn't going to get better on its own. I thought about looking into physical therapy, but again, I don't think it's an injury.

Anyone have experience with ART? Anything I should know before I start down that road?