Monday, November 3, 2008

Thoughtful Monday

I was hoping that yesterday's sermon would inspire my post today, but not so much...

However, I found this post on the Carrie and Danielle that had this advice about dealing with people in everyday life: Remember that you never really know what someone else is going through. That jerk honking at you when the light turned green .005 seconds ago- maybe he just found out his wife was cheating on him. The waitress who forgot to bring you a refill 3 times. Maybe she just found out her mom has cancer.

I know I'm guilty of snap judgments when someone does something to "wrong" me, and it makes my blood pressure rise about 5 points. There are some things that a stranger (or friend or loved one) has done to irritate me or hurt my feelings that I still haven't gotten over even years later. But that only hurts me. Letting go is healing, and letting go immediately is the way to good emotional health.

So I will start trying to make my response to an irritation be, "I don't know what they're going through." Even if my initial reaction is to get angry, I'll try to stop, take a step back, and remind myself that whatever happened probably had nothing to do with me, and I should cut this person some slack. Wouldn't I hope others would do the same for me?

_______________________________
Workout:
Spinning
2 sets of stairs
Walk home from work
Home strength training
Yoga?