Thursday, November 13, 2008

Big Fat Red Marks

Yesterday I had a big fat failure on my No S diet. I came home from work and the leftover cookie dough was just calling to me. It was screaming out for me to eat it. Nothing else would do. And I ate every last bit of it. And after dinner, because I’d already failed, I had a couple handfuls of white chocolate chips. After 2 weeks of compliance, I let myself say “screw it”.

So I’m going to take this opportunity to refocus myself. First I’m going to list my 5 biggest excuses and responses to them. Then I’m going to list 5 things I’m going to do to re-motivate myself.

Excuse Central:

Excuse: I’m not overweight. My clothes fit. I’m never going to be overweight.
Response: I gained 5lbs this fall with that kind of thinking. No, I don’t have a weight problem now, but I will if I keep gradually gaining 5lbs every 6 months.

Excuse: I need to fuel my runs.
Response: Taking weight off will help me get faster. Good runners are lean and they still have plenty of energy to train.

Excuse: But I like junk food.
Response: So does everyone else. That’s why I’m going to have a really great treat every week on my long run day and on holidays.

Excuse: I’m huuuuuungry.
Response: That’s why the no junk thing is so important. I don’t want to waste my calories on non-filling crap. Also, I think when I let myself eat really low fat for a long time I start to crave crap. So increase the healthy fats. Or I just distract myself until the next appropriate eating time.

Excuse: Once I’ve failed or if it’s a cheat day, I might as well go crazy.
Response: I do think it’s better for me to have just one designated cheat a week rather than a cheat day because cheat days are “go crazy” days for me.

Motivators:

Get the junk out of the apartment. If it’s not there, I generally don’t crave it.
Make a motivational collage I can look at in the morning and before I go to bed.
Weigh myself every day.
Track my calories on Daily Plate
Limit myself to one treat per week, but make it really really good.

________________________________________________
Workout:
8mi with 5mi slow tempo
1 set stairs
Upper body and Pilates videos