Saturday, March 5, 2011

This one is for the books

My run this morning was so bad that I'd like to submit this blog post as a monograph to The Annals of Horrible Runs.


First off, winter needs to end.  Like yesterday.  It rained yesterday and snowed last night so it was super icy.  But not in the giant chunks of ice covering the sidewalk kind of icy.  It was the invisible, every single inch of pavement is suddenly slick kind of icy.  And despite the air temperature being above freezing, the wind coming off the lake was brutal.  I under-dressed a bit after having over dressed on Thursday, and it was a huge mistake. My hands were freezing the whole time.  If sticking your hands in ice water is an accurate prediction of how long you can stand labor with out an epidural, I'm confirmed good at 1.5 hours.  The only thing that got me through 9 miles was the knowledge that I probably ate about 9 miles worth calories of chips and salsa Friday night.  I guess I should be sensitive to people who can't run at all right now for whatever reason.  I mean- at least I got out there, right?  No.  Not this run.

At least this next week is looking warmer and drier.  It'll be interesting to see how my race goes next weekend since I have no endurance base.  I've only completed one double digit run since the end of November/beginning of December.  Yikes.  Not much I can do about it now.

Hope you're having a good Saturday.  I'm going to go kick back and be lazy until time to make dinner.