Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Madison... the Seattle of the Midwest

Snow, thunder snow, wintry mix, sleet, freezing rain, and just plain old rain- the kind we're getting right now.  It seems like there's always some kind of precipitation going on up here.  Fortunately this is a gym morning (tomorrow I get to decide if high 30s is too cold to run in the rain), and it was slightly windy but dry for my interval run yesterday.  It wasn't the greatest run in the world, but I'm feeling better about my paces now that I know that 1km is 0.62mi, not 0.65mi, which is what I was running.  I did 8mi total with 1k, 2k, 1k, 1k fast.  My splits for the 1k were just above the 1k paces shown on McMillan so I'm thinking the extra seconds were due to the 0.03mi extra I ran.  Or at least I'm going to just keep telling myself that :).

As of 4:45 when I went home yesterday, a big project at work was heading out the door.  I had the dreads about going back yesterday after my long weekend in Chillsville, but it was actually a non-stressful and productive day.  

We did go back to Bach around the Clock on Saturday, and I got a picture of Daniel's* radio debut:

Bach cello suites arranged for electric guitar was well received.  We also got to hear a few other talented pianists and a classical guitarist while we were there.

The "make your own takeout" theme of the week continues with Saturday night's dinner, my favorite looks-disgusting-tastes-delicious Indian dish, palak paneer.  It follows the rule that if you put enough cheese/barbecue sauce/catsup/ranch dressing/seasoning (in this case) on anything, it will taste good.  Spinach + yogurt + paneer cheese + spice pack from Indian grocery = tasty.


Last night we actually followed a recipe from an old Cooking Light for shrimp pad Thai.  It wasn't Chopstix, but I also didn't have to wait for 2 hours to get it.


And finally, another non-take out slow cooker winner, from Real Simple- Sunday's dinner- creamy chicken and biscuits dumplings.  Easy, tasty, and with plenty of leftovers for dinner tonight.

And sadly it's time for me to see if I can get my raincoat to stretch over my jacket and my backpack so I don't get soaked going to and from the gym and work.  It's really coming down... sad face. 

*streaming online