Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Blown away

It is super crazy windy and rainy here.  Yesterday morning I woke up to torrential rain and thunder.  I hoped that it would end by the time I started my run, but alas, it was not to be.  I went back and forth about treadmilling it vs toughing it out outside (I mean, if I say I want to train through the winter, I can't be afraid of a little wind and rain, right?).

After checking the weather channel and seeing that we were under both a tornado and high wind warning I decided that running indoors was on the smart side of things rather than the wimpy side.

It would have been super convenient to run on *our* treadmill because that's what it's for, but after having two downstairs neighbors who had no problem with it, our latest neighbors finally complained.  At 3pm on a Saturday.  So needless to say I was concerned about using it at 5:30am on a Tuesday.  I think part of the problem is that there are a lot of people who live in that apartment (not sure how many but at least 3) and at least some of them sleep in the living room, which is right under our living room and the treadmill.  I'm sure I'll chance it sometime later this year, but truthfully we had horrible upstairs neighbors in Albuquerque, and I don't want to be them.

So off I went to the gym.  No AC.  No TV.  Just me and the MP3 player that got fixated on bluegrass, Bela Fleck, and Weird Al.  Not the most fun run ever, but I made it through 6.5 miles in about an hour. 

On the way home I heard on the radio that the weather we were having was the same weather that caused the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (yes, this was a real thing).  At that point I felt 100% justified in running on the 'mill as I did not want to be sunk in Lake Mendota.

It's windy again today but not so bad so I'm planning to hit the roads.  I'm giving blood today (if my finger is metallic enough, sometimes that's a problem) and I'm not sure if I'll run tomorrow or not. 

Well, that's what passes for excitement around here.  Have a good Wednesday, all!