Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Beautiful but Cold



It's gorgeous out today... The sun is shining... Things are even starting to look a little green... Unfortunately it's actually 23 degrees out with a windchill of -5 or so. It's hard when it's deceptively pretty outside. You think, "Oh, I'm going to go for a nice walk." Ha! Only if you have somewhere warm to go that the bus won't take you.

Anyway, I think I'm recovering from all this respiratory stuff. My voice is mostly back, and my nose is running less. The cough is still off and on, but on the whole, I think I'm on the mend.

I was able to do my interval workout this morning, which was a relief. Monday I was so congested breathing was hard when I was running easy so doing a tempo run was out of the question. But today I set a goal for my intervals, and was able to stick it out.

I'm supposed to run the Shamrock Shuffle 10k here on Sunday. I don't have super high hopes for my performance because a)I'll probably still be congested then, b)It's supposed to rain, c)The course manages to go up and down the only big hill in Madison, and d)My training this winter has ranged from nonexistent to "not so great, actually". In any case, it's good for me to get the race experience.

Challenge is good: 2 veg so far today and one to go at dinner. I'm thinking I'll make stir fry. No sweets and luckily none have been around to tempt me. I've eaten a bit more today than I intended, but I'm sticking with my goal to track what I eat and go to bed a bit hungry each night.

Today's workout is/was: 6mi with 3x6min fast on the treadmill and 10x100m swim with warm up and cool down after work