Friday, July 2, 2010

Back in the groove

Which for me is defined as cooking my first real meal since I got back to town.  I haven't been eating out- more like grabbing random proteins and vegetables hanging out in the fridge and combining them in ways that don't seem that unpalatable.

Last night I made palak soyabina panira from Eat, Drink and be Vegan.  This is a vegan knock off of palak paneer (Is this the same as saag paneer?  It seems like it).  I didn't have the right ratio of spinach to tomato sauce so I didn't get that nice green color you get in a restaurant.  The tofu was a decent stand in for paneer cheese, but it was just a little off.  Same with the spicing.  If I'd never had palak paneer in a restaurant, I would have liked it, but as I prepared it, this dish was in the uncanny valley of Indian food.

Yeah, that looks scary.  More like car accident delight!  Oh well.

In other news, I feel like I'm finally catching up on life!  It also helps that I finally made some real progress on a difficult project at work and that I had two good runs.

My first was 2x15 minutes at marathon tempo, which I did at 8:32 min/mile and 8:46 min/mile.  At first I was annoyed that I went so slow, but actually I was right on for marathon tempo pace 8:45 +/- 10 sec.  The pace better not feel too fast if I'm going to hang on to it for 26.6 miles.  The second run was 2x(800, 600, 400, 200) at 5-10k pace.  I hit all of these intervals in the 7:30s (except the first, which is aaaaalllways slow), which is right on target.  Today I'm in the gym and tomorrow is 17 miles.

I'm excited that it's Friday, and I'm looking forward to going out to dinner tonight, getting ready for the Mississippi trip, relaxing, doing a long run in cooler, less humid weather, and watching fireworks.

What are your Fourth of July plans?  Are you taking Monday off?  I'm not.  We can float holidays that fall on weekends, so I'm going to take it the next week when we are in Mississippi.