Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Sore Butt Tuesday

I feel kind of funny calling these things daily updates because realistically they are never going to be daily. Anyway, this is what's been going on.

Fitness:
Whew, my behind is sore today from lifting weights. I did a couple of different moves yesterday- lunges in particular- that left me pretty tight and tired.

Luckily that didn't negatively affect my run this morning. I did 4 miles with 3x800m intervals at 7:54 min/mile, 7:28 min/mile, and 8:35 min/mile. While this is an easy pace for many of you out there, I was quite happy with my speed. I decided to look back in my training long, and about this time last summer I was running 800m at slower than 8min/mile pace on the track. The ones today were done on my regular running route.

It gave me a nice boost because sometimes I feel like I neeeever improve. The truth is I have gotten faster in the last two years, but I haven't made a lot of progress because I haven't been consistent. I go through periods when I do a lot of speed work and periods when I do none, and that doesn't get you results- at least not very quickly. So hopefully this discovery will motivate me to keep up with the interval and tempo work even when I'm not really feeling it.

Food:
Not much exciting here. I have a great (scary) picture for you of my lunch from Friday. It involves salad... and scrambled egg... mixed together. It was truly something out of a Lovecraft novel.

Fun:
Nothing super exciting right now. I really bombed Bible Trivia last night, so I think I'm going to try to find a Bible Fact of the Day site so I can brush up on "Old Farts of the Old Testament."