Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Isn't it great to learn something new



I had a great treadmill run yesterday, following the treadmill track workout in my book Training Plans for Multisport Athletes by Gale Bernhardt. I did a 2 mile warm up and then 3x3:30, 2x2:30, 3x:1:45, 3x0:50 intervals. The I set the treadmill on 7.0 for the first 3 sets and 7.1 for the last one. The goal of the workout is to finish at a faster speed than you started. It was challenging without being awful, and I want to stick with it every Tuesday until it gets warm enough to get outside.

Anyway, the "learning" part of this was that I realized I could increase my pace during the intervals if I walked a little bit during the rest. This is a-okay with Gale Bernhardt. She says the important thing is to make sure to get your heart rate down during the recovery period and even tells you to walk rather than jog in a different set of treadmill workouts. Anyway, I think I'll improve my speed next Tuesday just by making this small change, but I'm happy that I made it through the workout yesterday feeling successful again. That's really key for me keeping my motivation up.

The other thing I've been learning about is personal organization. I've been reading Getting Things Done by David Allen. I'm almost through with the book, and I've already started putting some of the practices in place. He has a lot of good suggestions, but the book is about 70% jargon. I think I'm going to read it a second time once I finish to make sure I really understand what he's trying to communicate.

Otherwise I'm just enjoying the relatively warm weather. I might go out and run tomorrow depending on the cold/ice factor, but I might just run inside again since my fight with the treadmill seems to be over.