Friday, January 23, 2009

2009 Race Calendar


It's about time to figure out what races I want to do in 2009. My goal is to participate in 9- any mix of 5ks, 10ks, 1/2 marathons, triathlons, and maybe even a marathon in there will do. That evens out to being one a month March to November. I'm going to list a few more than that because sometimes weather and other commitments (and just not feeling it) cause me to change my mind about a race at the last minute. I'm going to post a more realistic schedule with 9 "goal" races in the side bar, but I thought I'd do a post also because I can elaborate a bit on each one. Also, the races I'm listing here but not posting are in the running to replace a goal race I can't do for whatever reason.

I'm also inclined to front end my race schedule because if I'm training for a marathon, I don't like to race because it messes with my long run/ rest day schedule.

I'd like to stick one other triathlon in there, but I just don't know which one is the best because I don't know Wisconsin geography yet.

And now that I've tried to put them in my calendar, I've discovered that some of these dates are obviously wrong.

02/14/09: Valentine's 5K Run - Only if it's way warmer than it is right now.

03/15/09: Shamrock Shuffle 5K/10k Run - Sounds fun, but it goes up Observatory. Looks like a big Madison race.

04/05/09: Pi Mile Run for Charity- Cute idea and on campus

04/16/2009: 5K Poker Run/Walk- This also seems like fun. The one with the best poker hand at the end of the race wins.

04/25/09: Crazylegs Classic - 8K- I"ve never done an 8k before, and it's also a big Madison race

05/24/09: Madison Half-Marathon- It's here- I have no excuse to not do it.

06/21/09: Wisconsin Triterium Triathlon- It's in Verona, which is close (no overnight stays), and it gives me a decent amount of time to learn how to swim.

07/12/09: Diva Dash 5K and Mini Diva Dash- Sounds cute. Maybe?

08/30/09(approximate date): Cow Chip Classic - 5k/10k- Another one that can't be missed

09/20/09: Zoo Run Run and Roo Run Run- Maybe?

10/10/2009: Whistle Stop Marathon & Half-Marathon OR

10/12/2009(approximate date): Chicago Marathon- Obviously one of these dates is are messed up. I'm leaning toward Whistle Stop if I think I'm borderline able to qualify for Boston and Chicago if I think there's no way.

10/26/09(approximate date): Fall 15k Road Race and 3 x 5K Relay- If the marathon thing just doesn't work out.

11/26/09: Berbee Derby- Hopefully I'll be back on my feet after my fall marathon to make this my last race of the year.