Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Theme from A Summer Place

In Madison, you have learn to cram a year's worth of fun in four months.  I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.  So far I've:

  • I've attended a 3-way birthday party,


 

  • Gone to my first Mallard's game



  • Learned there's a reason I've never eaten a mulberry before (Holy stems, Batman.  My hands are still a little purple)


               and that I enjoy my healthy CSA veggies best in gooey pasta form



  • Watched the sun set from Observatory Hill



                  and the Rhythm and Booms fireworks from across the lake


  • And traveled to Dubuque where I won my weight in catfish at the slot machines.


Thankfully not true on that last one.  We visited crazy 300lb dino-catfish at the Aquarium of the Mississippi.

As a side note, I hadn't gone to see the fireworks in a couple years, and I'm glad that they are still making advances in fancy explosion science and technology.  My favorite was the smileys.



The one thing I haven't managed to do yet is get re-conditioned to running in warm weather.  I ran on Saturday morning when it 77, and I was sure it had to be 107.  After a water stop and a walk for a minute in the shade break (yes, I'm not too proud to admit it) I was happy I wasn't trying to crank out a 20-miler like I would have been last summer.  Yesterday wasn't soooo bad, but man, SWEAT.  Hopefully I'll get a little better conditioned so I don't die when I try to run when I'm back in Florida in another month.

Hope you are having a fun summer so far and had a relaxing 3-day weekend.