Sunday, July 19, 2009

Garden = Out of Control

We got all our chores done yesterday, and it's my rest day from working out, so I hope this will be a lazy, relaxing Sunday.

Fitness
I ran 21 miles last week and did 3 sessions of strength training. I'm feeling good about slowly increasing my mileage and I'm actually enjoying strength training for once in my life. This is the last week of the phase that I'm on, so I'm looking forward to doing something new and different starting next week. And bonus- yesterday was my weigh-in day, and I'd gone down a pound from last week. Hopefully this will motivate me to be more conscious of my eating rather than give me an excuse to slack this week.

The only exciting thing that happened was that I almost stepped on a bird while I was running yesterday. Not a dead bird. A live bird. It landed right in front of me, right where I was about to place my foot. I had to come to a screeching (meaning I actually screeched because it really startled me) halt so the stupid thing could get out of the way.

Food
We did some major work on the garden yesterday.

A lot of the mulch we'd put down for weed control had been blown or washed away so D went to work covering everything up with a fresh layer.



Here it is with a nice new layer of mulch.



We had a ton- and I mean a ton- of broccoli and lettuce that was ready to be harvested.



Our tomatoes aren't ripe yet, but the plants are out of control! Same with the carrots.





After MUCH washing and drying, we have more lettuce and broccoli than we know what to do with.

Two huge bowls of broccoli. Plus we froze a bunch.



And huge bags of lettuce. We had two of these guys to give away plus another huge bag we are keeping.



We are planning to give a lot of this to our church friends and maybe to the St. Vincent DuPaul society. They have a fresh vegetable collection on Monday morning, but I may or may not remember to get the stuff out there.

Fun
Not a lot else has been going on. We may or may not go out to the Dane County Fair this afternoon. It could be fun, but I don't think it's a very big deal. I'm sure the Wisconsin State Fair will be a much bigger event. I'm not sure where that is, though. Otherwise we'll just try to relax and enjoy having all our chores done and get ready for the week ahead.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!