Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Back in action


I was gone for the weekend in sunny (but chilly) San Francisco. This was to be our last big trip "out west" before we move up north.

For the first two days, just walking around was exercise enough for me, but I got in two runs on the hotel treadmill at the end of the trip when we had some downtime.

Last week was the "peak workout" for my 5k on Sunday. The goal was to run 5x1k at 5k pace, but really I was running them at more like my goal pace.

I decided to drive to the track and do my warmup and cooldown there to see if that helped me not feel so wiped out after these workouts, and I think it did. The break down was

2mi warmup

.65mi in 5:08 (7:54 pace)

.64mi in 5:03 (7:56 pace)

.65mi in 5:08 (7:54 pace)

.64mi in 4:57 (7:45 pace)

.65 in 5:001 (7:40 pace)

2mi cool down

Overall I was pleased both with my ability to do the workout closer to goal pace than my old race pace and the fact that I did the last two intervals the fastest. Running an 8min mile will let me sneak under 25 min. I'd have to run about 7:45 to beat my old PR of just under 24min. I don't think the second will happen, but as long as nothing weird happens, and I really push myself then I don't think I'll have any problems breaking 25min.

I also ran 2x1.5 on the treadmill at the hotel Monday. I was able to handle the pace remarkably easily, but that probably just means that it wasn't calibrated correctly and I still had my high altitude adaptations. Now that I think about it, today was the first high-altitude run I've done since I've been back so that may explain why I felt a bit sluggish.

Tomorrow will be 2.5mi w/u, 1mi at 5k pace, 2.5mi c/d. After this Sunday I'll start 1/2 marathon training. Do I have a 1:55 in me? We shall see.