The Private Patient has all the elements of a work of British detective fiction.
- Victorian manor in the English countryside - Check
- Manor is possibly haunted - Check
- Winter - Check
- Shady domestic staff - Check
- Old family feud - Check
- Famous person murdered - Check
- High ranking detective called in from London to investigate - Check
- Probably an inside job - Check
If you like a good mystery, I recommend any by this author. I think at this point I've read all of them. She also wrote the book Children of Men, which was turned into a movie not that that long ago. I tried to read that, but it wasn't my cup of tea so I never finished it.
Who would like this book?
- People who liked The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo who could have done with a lot less violence and 150 fewer pages
- People who are bothered by a high ratio of setting description and character development to action, abuse of the letter "u"*, the words "jumper" and "trousers" and the fact that the British do things so much later in the day than us
*Like the word "colour"