Thursday, December 9, 2010

A few of my favorite things

Warmer weather is on the way. Yay!  We are getting snow this evening/tomorrow morning which means the temps are ticking back up to the upper 20s instead of the near-0 overnight lows and highs in the teens that we've been having.  Even today is a little warmer.  Right now it's 16, feels like 9.

Monday I hit the indoor track to do 800m repeats.  It was cold and windy outside, and there were still some snow/ice blobs on the sidewalk that I didn't want to hit at full tilt.  My goal was to run each 800 in 3:26, which was very ambitious (based on prescribed paces from the Runner's World FIRST 10k training plan).  I never hit a 3:26 (3:29 was the closest I got), and all the rest of the repeats were in the 3:30's, but I feel like I really pushed myself, and that's what matters.  My times were on the fast end of what McMillan recommends for 800s based on my last 10k time, so I'm happy with that.

Wednesday was kind of a running fail.  It was probably below 0 with the wind chill, and I didn't get my Toasti Toes situated correctly, and my toes (especially my left big toe) got super cold.  I was aiming for 2x2mi at 7:41 min/mile pace, and I only almost hit that for one of the miles.  The rest were way slower.  I attribute this to allowing myself to be distracted by the weather and by my toes and by being sore from lifting the day before.  The second one can be fixed by a better sock and Toasti Toes set up, but I need to get it in my head that it's going to be cold for the rest of the winter, and I can't let that be an excuse.  Luckily, as I said before, it's warming up this weekend, so hopefully that will make for more enjoyable runs.        

On the subject of winter running, inspired by Sarah, who was inspired by Lauren, who was inspired by Oprah, here's a list of my current Winter Running Favorite Things.  I'd say I'd love to give them to all of you, but actually I'd rather have you live in a place that you don't need them.

1. Hot Hands and Toasti Toes.  Indispensable for running when it's below 10.

2. Sugoi fleece-lined tights.  My legs have never been cold wearing these babies.

3. A reflective vest.  It's important that you can be seen from space while running in the dark.  If aliens are trying to land, you want them to hit you.
4. A headlamp.  Take a lesson from The Titanic.  Watch out for ice.

Stay warm out there!  I for one am headed to the gym this morning and crossing my fingers for an upper-20's long run tomorrow.  It'll be balmy.