Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Easy as pie

We got the first bag of grape tomatoes from our CSA last week.  Unlike the beets- which neither of us like- or the rest of the veggies- which both of us like- tomatoes are 100% my responsibility.  And I don't really like raw tomatoes.  A bit of internet searching came up with a zillion recipes for a tomato tart/pie, so I threw one together with ingredients we happened to have around, sliced it into quarters, and now I have lunches for a week.


Easy tomato pie-  

Ingredients:

  • One refrigerated pie crust (I used Pillsbury from Target)
  • Tomatoes- any kind you want- sliced so they'll lay relatively flat on the crust (I used the lovely orange ones shown above)
  • Cheese- something melty (I used Gorgonzola because we had quite a bit left over from a previous dinner)
  • Seasoning- Whatever you think would taste good (I didn't use any because Gorgonzola has a lot of flavor on its own)

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 400ish.
  • Place pie crust in a pie pan or a round cake pan.  Bake for about 10 minutes while you cut up the tomatoes.  The ingredients cook way faster than the crust, so it's good to give it a head start.
  • Remove pie from oven and layer in cheese and tomatoes.
  • Put the pie back into the oven and bake until the crust is brown and the cheese is melty.
  • Devour or allow to cool and slice into lunch-sized pieces and store in Tupperware for later
I had a slice for lunch yesterday and thought it was really tasty for the tiny amount of work involved.  Can't say I'll be sad to eat this 3 more times.

What's your favorite quick and easy thing to throw together for lunch?

And with that, it's time to fly.  115lb bench press- you are mine!