Monday, January 10, 2011

Running in a Winter Wonderland

Last Saturday was the most geared up I've ever been to go on a run.  I felt like that kid from The Christmas Story...

 if he grew up to be a Medieval executioner.
You stuck my tongue to a pole.  Now you must die!
When I left it was about -7 with the wind-chill with 10-15mph winds gusting off the lake.  Working from the top to the bottom, I wore a ski mask and hat, a short sleeved shirt, two long sleeved shirts, a fleece vest, a fleece jacket, a reflective vest, gloves with Hot Hands inside mittens, tights, athletic pants, and cotton socks with Toasti Toes inside wool socks. 

I was actually a little hot when I started the run, but once I got over by the lake into the wind, I was glad I had every bit of clothing on.  I only ended up doing 8mi because we had to head out of town, but I would have been comfortable to do an entire long run at this temperature.  

Here's me when I got back:

 I don't think you can tell, but I had ice all over my eyelashes when I came inside.  Winter running is fun!

This week should be warmer but with more snow.  Hopefully not so much that all the sidewalks get gunked up again.  As you can see from above, I can live with cold, but icy messes everything up.

Having to wear all this to run has a few downsides.  1) It takes forever to get ready and 2) I can't show off my cute new haircut and pedicure.

I was never much of a girly girl growing up, and I'm still not super fashionable as far as clothing is concerned, but I really enjoy being groomed.  If I were rich and famous, I'd keep one of these monkeys around to pet me every day.


Until then, I'll have to settle for humans every 6 weeks.



I actually got a pedicure over the break, too, but I had a Groupon that needed to be used before February, so I figured I'd keep my hair and nails on the same schedule.  Even though I don't see my feet all that often, I enjoy just knowing that they look pretty good for a runner's feet.  Bye toes, see you again this summer!

Workout:
Treadmill track workout #3 (at the gym!).  Hoping the undergrads aren't back yet.