Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Building back up


It's snowing out now, but I'm hoping I'll get in a run outside tomorrow morning. Most of the ice is gone, so I don't have to rely on the dreadmill. So much for my run after work plans, right? The thing is, even though there are lots of benefits to going after work, nothing really beats a good early morning run for me. It's easy to get in the mindset that every day is going to be awful, and I'm not going to be able to run outside again until May, but that's really not true. There are only a few scattered days (like last Tuesday) when it really is to treacherous to run outside.

To be honest, I was kind of depressed after my run yesterday. I just didn't feel like there was much gas in the tank, and the whole cramping thing was annoying (and a big part of the reason I wanted to run in the afternoon is so I'd feel more awake and loose). It made me start questioning my ability to improve my running doing a tri-style training program. How can I build a base if I can't stay on the treadmill for more than 6 miles? It also made me question my ability to do well in the Madison Marathon in May. I know it was just one day, and it's way too early to make any calls about what my fitness is going to be like 5 months from now, but it was still a little frustrating. That's a big reason that I want to get back out tomorrow- to "prove" that I can still run.

Otherwise I'm just majorly sore from lifting weights yesterday. But it's a good sore. I'm in an endurance phase with my workout program, which I like much more than a pure strength phase. (Someday I'll write about the time I tried to do serious running and serious power lifting at the same time. The short version is, it doesn't work.)

___________________________________
Workout:
60min stationary bike
1.5 sets stairs